Two men have been interviewed on a precautionary basis in relation to offenses under a law that covers abuses related to the awarding of honours, British police said on Friday.
In February, the London Metropolitan Police said it had launched an investigation into allegations in media reports that honors were offered to a Saudi national in return for donations to one of then-Prince Charles’s charities.
Charles became king earlier this month following the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II.
“On Tuesday 6th September, police interviewed a man in his 50s and a man in his 40s under reprimand in relation to offenses under the Honors (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925,” the Metropolitan Police said in a statement. statement on Friday.
“The investigation is ongoing and we will not provide ongoing comment on its progress.”
The Sunday Times newspaper reported last year that a Saudi businessman had received an award after paying thousands of pounds on projects heavily supported by Charles, with the help of aides to the then heir to the throne.
Buckingham Palace did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the police statement.
A spokesman for Charles earlier said the now-king was not aware of the alleged offer of honors or citizenship based on donations.
Weeks after the newspaper report, Michael Fawcett, Charles’ right-hand man for decades, resigned from his position as head of the royal charity, The Prince’s Foundation.